Friday, October 4, 2013

Lentil stew

Going to try to blog some recipes we've liked in the past couple of weeks.  I miss the blog when I'm looking for something we liked.
This recipe is one I found on pinterest.  I found this site with lots of links to slow cooker recipes.  The original of this comes from chocolate covered Kate.  Here is how we made it.  I left out mushrooms, and actually spinach too. I also found I needed a lot more broth/stock that the original said. If you are a mushroom lover, click the link above and follow that recipe. (keeping in mind that you might need more liquid.)   I loved the combination of flavors.  We actually made this twice.  First time my veggie broth was rancid and we had to dump it.  Such a waste.    Second time DH made it.  I had thought he left out chili powder but in reviewing the recipe, I don't see any.  Maybe he left out the cumin.  It was good that way, but I sprinkled the chili powder on it when I ate it for left overs and it was excellent.  Good enough that I had the left overs 3 times.  I thought the lemon flavor was a bit too strong the first day, but not in left overs.  Just and FYI.  I may fiddle with that next time I make this. That is the true judge of if I like something.  :)  I also love a good vegetarian meal.

Ingredients

  • 1.5 cups onion, chopped (always an approximation for me)
  • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic -2-4 cloves
  • olive oil -1 tsp-1 Tbs for sauteing veggies
  • 1.5 cups diced bell peppers (I used mini sweets)
  • 6 carrots, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/3 cup dry lentils
  • 4 cups vegetable stock or broth
  • 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest
  • optional (5 oz spinach)  Sounds good but we didn't use it.
Directions
  1. Saute onion in oil in a large saucepan until it begins to brown.  Add garlic, peppers, carrots, celery and cook for 5 more minutes.  (Pretty sure I added a bit more oil at this time.  I just went by what it looked like it needed.)  
  2. Add vinegar, tomato paste, fennel seeds, paprika and cumin.  Cook 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  
  3. Add lentils, broth, tomatoes, and salt.  Bring to a boil, Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are done.  Add lemon zest.  Stir and serve.  (If using spinach, add with lemon zest and cook 2-3 minutes until it wilts.  If your a fan of chili powder or want a spicier or smokey flavor, try it with a sprinkle of chili powder.  I loved the left overs like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails