Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mexican coleslaw

Yet again I'm super far behind in blogging.  Darn computer issues.   We just need a new one that the teenagers are not allowed to touch (aka dowload viruses to.)  I seriously need to find a recipe I made before vacation.  They were some raw pecan balls.  I totally thought I blogged them, but went to make them again and didn't.  Aargh!
This coleslaw recipe was super tasty - that's saying something because I'm not always the biggest fan of coleslaw.  I tried another one a couple of days later with the other 1/2 of the cabbage and it wasn't nearly as good.  This one however is a definite winner.  (and I didn't even put in the avocado or the pepitas.)  I found the recipe cooking club magazine.  So without further ado, here is the delicious dish.


Ingredients

  • 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
  • 8 oz jicama, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 cup chopped sweet bell pepper (I used a combination of colored mini sweets)
  • 1 medium carrot, shredded (1 cup)
  • 1/3- 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
  • 3/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup roasted salted pepitas (although I forgot these)
  • 1 avocado, chopped (I forgot to add this as well.
Dressing ingredients
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange peel (I used about 1/2 an orange for both of these)
  • 3 Tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons grated lime peel (I used 1 lime for both of these)
  • 2 small garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  1. Place all coleslaw ingredients except pepitas and avocado in a large bowl.  Toss to combine.
  2. Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until blended.  Stir into coleslaw.  Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
  3. As a bonus, just befor serving, don't forget to sprinkle the pepitas and avocado - I got side tracked looking for the pepitas, finally gave up and totally forgot the avocado.  Go figure.  :)  It was still wonderful without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails