Sunday, June 17, 2012

Yellow rice and black bean salad

I found this recipe in my 366 delicious ways to cook rice, beans, and grains book.  I loved how colorful it was as I was preparing it.  (will post pictures soon.  I just realized DH took my camera to scout camp so not only was I unable to take pictures of the green waffles I made this evening, but I can't post pictures now.  Boo.  This was a nice colorful meal with the yellow/orange rice, black beans, red pepper, tomatoes, scallions and cilantro.  It just looked  nice.  I loved the flavor the annatto oil gave the rice.  I actually liked the rice so much that I didn't want to put the dressing on it.  So I let people choose -lime dressing or no lime dressing.    Here is how I made it.  I'm writing directions how I made it, but at the same time making it easier to shop for - for example, I used grape tomatoes and chopped them because that is what I had in the house and I wasn't buying a regular tomato just for this recipe.  However, if making this again, I'd rather look at the recipe and think -ok, I need 1 tomato.   The original was white rice.  That would definitely take less time to make, but I was going for more nutritious.  Just plan a little extra time to use brown rice.

Annatto oil is needed to make this recipe.  I made it as follows


  • 2 Tablespoons annatto seeds (small red seeds.  I find them in the bulk spice area of my grocery store.)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
Heat seeds in oil over low heat stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.  (The oil should be nice and orange/red.  You can double this and store it in the fridge for future applications.  This makes a little more than you actually need for the recipe as well.  

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups basmati brown rice (LOVE this stuff - use whatever type of rice you like - the original called for regular white.)
  • 2 Tablespoons annatto oil (see above)
  • 1/2 large sweet onion 
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 3 cups water (you may be able to get away with 2 3/4 but I didn't want to chance it using brown rice.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained (I was lazy today - can sub 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans.)
  • 1 red pepper (or other color sweet pepper) diced. I actually used the tiny sweets and used about 6.
  • 1 tomato, diced (I actually used grape tomatoes because that is what I had at home)
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons (more or less) chopped fresh cilantro
If making the dressing, whisk together
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 Tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar (original was red and I'd like to try that next time.)
  • optional salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Rinse the rice and drain.  In a large skillet, heat annatto oil over medium heat.  Add the rice, sweet onion and garlic and saute until everything gets nice and yellow/orange and rice starts to look toasted and more dry.  (about 5 minutes)
  2. Add water and salt.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed (50-60 minutes)  Remove from heat.  Set aside to cool
  3. While the rice is cooling, chop all of your veggies.  Toss rice and remaining ingredients together in a bowl.  Stir to combine.  
  4. If you want to make the dressing, whisk it all together and combine it with the rice.  The dish is yummy either way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails