Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chocolate peanut butter popcorn/cereal

So, I really should be done blogging for the day, but the next 2 are so much fun that I just have to keep blogging.  (That and my boys are actually playing very nicely together, and dinner had to marinate for an hour so it is done and in the fridge.  Score!)
A little while ago I got a group of e-books.  One of my favorite in the set is called real food, real easy.  It has some great recipes for real food.  Both of the next 2 recipes are adaptations of recipes from that book.  I'm also planning to redo my sidebar soon and add the blogs of all of the contributors of the e-book because they are more in line with the new healthier way I'm cooking.  Yet another thing on my to do list. :)  
I'm not sure how, but the original recipe didn't have you cook this at all.  Seemed like it would be too moist and sticky.  Since I was already making granola, I just cooked it similarly.  Made the popcorn/cereal perfectly dry.  
I forsee many versions of this popcorn - honey cinnamon, plain peanut butter, maple....  Let the experimenting begin.
All of the kids except Tavio loved this plain as a snack.  Tavio said it tasted burnt.  I actually tossed a few in my milk after my muesli this morning and I think it was even better as cereal than as a snack.  Definitely a keeper.

Ingredients
  • about 3 quarts popped popcorn (1 cup kernels)
  • 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (original was only 1/4 -I may try the lesser amount.  I just messed up this time, but it worked great and I type how I made things)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
  1. Melt together the peanut butter, honey, cocoa powder and coconut oil.  (This really took no time - less than a minute on the stove - of course it is summer in Houston.  :)
  2. Pour over popcorn and stir together until well coated.
  3. Pour popcorn on parchment lined baking sheets.
  4. Bake at 300 for about 5 minutes.  (To be honest, I threw mine in when the oven was still pre-heating and left it about 7 minutes.)
  5. Turn the oven off but do not remove the popcorn.  Let rest in the oven for a couple of hours.  (I went to a class at the gym and took this out when I got home.  My granola definitely wasn't ready, but this was perfect.)
  6. Remove and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails