Monday, April 30, 2012

Muesli

This "recipe" is from another one of my Healthy cooking groups.  More than a recipe, it is just kind of an idea of things to toss in to make a home-made muesli.  It is super simple.  There are no measurements, no right or wrong, and I actually toss in ends of other cereals we have at home making it a great way to get rid of that last 1/4 cup of rice crispies someone left in the box.  I've made this a couple of times now, and last time didn't actually "make" a new batch, I just tossed in some more oats, cereal and raisins.  See, super easy right.
Serve this with milk, or on top of yogurt.
Here is what it looked like today.  I had some organic chocolate crisp cereal
I tried in there this time.  The white balls are the puffed millet.  Looks like I got
a bit carried away with it.  :)

Ingredients

  • rolled oats - lots - think about 1/2-3/4 of the amount you want to make.  I use a big bowl and fill it about 1/2 way with oats. 
Optional ingredients - just pick and choose what you like
  • chopped nuts - any type
  • seeds - ground flax, flax, chia, sesame...
  • wheat germ
  • any desired cereal - I try to stick to healthy ones.  Read labels carefully...  Really you can put anything here - just not a lot.  I like the cereal for a change of flavor and/or texture - grape nuts add a great crunch, rice crispies do too.  I also like puffed grain cereal - found a puffed millet I added for fun last time.
  • any dried fruit - raisins, blueberries.... (I love to add raisins - they add sweetness.)
  • unsweetened coconut
  • Granola - home made is great.  Use enough to make the muesli sweet.  
Directions
Fill a large mixing bowl about 1/2 way full with rolled oats.  Add any optional ingredients and stir to combine.  Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails