Friday, March 16, 2012

Ranch dressing or dip mix, and dressing

I can't believe I haven't blogged about this one yet.  I've made it a couple of times (the mix -triple batches each time.)  I remember last time I made it I had to search forever to figure out what book I got the recipe from.  Should have blogged it then.  Save myself time searching every cookbook I own.  :)
So, lately I've decided to really change up my eating habits - more on that later.  One of the things I'm doing is eating way MORE salad.  Quite a while ago I quit buying salad dressings and started making my own.  This one is definitely a family favorite.  It is super easy -especially if you have some mix already made.   You can also adjust the thickness by varying what you mix it with.  Never buy a packet of ranch dressing mix again.  :)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried chives
This will yield only enough for 1 batch of ranch.  To triple, simply change all of the teaspoons to Tablespoons.  That gets a bit tricky with the 1/4 teaspoons,  It should look something like this

Ingredients for 3 batches
  • 1/2 Tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) pepper
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons parsley
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 Tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried chives
Or double again and only use Tablespoon and 1/2 Tablespoon measures.  It would look like this

Ingredients for 6 batches
  • 1 Tablespoon pepper
  • 3 Tablespoons parsley
  • 2 Tablespoons salt
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Thyme
  • 1/2 Tablespoon dried chives
Make as much as you like.  Personally, I make the 6 batches.  It is just easier, and my kids love ranch.  My oldest dips his pizza in it, and they all eat fresh carrots, celery, cucumbers peppers or tomatoes or salad in general much better with some sauce.  Ranch being a particular favorite.

To mix up some ranch

Ingredients
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons Ranch mix listed above *
  • 4 teaspoons olive oil **
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup greek yogurt***
  • 3 Tablespoons buttermilk
Mix it all together.  Store in the fridge.  You are "supposed to" let this sit for an hour in the fridge before using.  I haven't in the 4-6 times I've made it.  First batch gets used immediately.  Still tastes great.  Other notes
* (you can totally play with this amount.  I usually add 1 heaping Tablespoon because I'm lazy and don't want to measure out 4 1/2 teaspoons.  Today I actually measured out 4 teaspoons.  Add as much or little as you like to make it taste good.
** I have been known to omit the olive oil especially if I'm going for a thicker veggie dipping sauce.  I added it when making it today and suggest it if you are going for salad dressing.
*** original called for mayo or yogurt.  I always use greek yogurt.  It is thicker but way better for you.  You can always thin the dressing with a little water if it is too thick for you liking.
****Buttermilk is listed as an option written in the intro to the recipe (not even in the recipe) - I know, crazy huh?  I love my ranch to have a buttermilk flavor so I always add it.  I even waited until today to make it because I was out of buttermilk yesterday.  It thins the dressing a bit and adds a wonderful flavor.  

Shelf life of mix :1 year  --I put it in a ziplock bag and write on the ranch recipe on the outside with a sharpie.  Then when I pull out the baggie I know exactly what to do to make the dressing without having to look it up again.

Shelf life of dressing:  3 weeks in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails