Monday, October 3, 2011

push in pie crust

This was the easiest pie crust ever.  My 5 year old helped me make it and was perfectly happy to do so.  (Not to mention capable.)  I found the recipe/idea in Family Feasts for $75.  I changed it to use coconut oil and couldn't help myself but throw in some bean flour.  Getting crazy with my experimenting lately.  It really had a great texture.
It was very odd to make because I mixed in all of the coconut oil first (before adding the milk) so that it wouldn't clump.  It seemed very moist and I honestly debated adding the milk, but each Tablespoon actually firmed up the dough a bit (I'm thinking because it solidified the coconut oil a bit.)  I thought it was kind of cool, but I'm kind of geeky in the kitchen like that.  :)
It's ease combined with the nice texture are winning it a 5 star from me.  I think this will be my go-to pie crust for any pie other than special occasions or further experimenting (like different grains.)


***Update 5/24/12 - I tried this today with whole wheat flour and coconut palm sugar.  I actually needed a bit extra milk but the resulting crust was very tasty.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups flour (I subbed out 2 Tablespoons regular flour for 2 Tablespoons pinto bean flour)
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 2 Tablespoons milk
Directions
  1. Toss flour(s), sugar and salt in the bottom of a pie pan.  Mix with a fork.  (Watch out, 5 year olds mix it right out of the container.  ;)  Add oil and mix through.  Add milk and mix again.  (If using another oil, you could certainly add the milk and oil together.  I just didn't want to with coconut oil.  My house is warm enough in summer that my coconut oil is always liquid and I wanted it mixed with the flour that way.)
  2. Press dough around the pie plate with fingertips.  (I find that my palm works much better for the bottom of the pan.)  I didn't bother making a scalloped edge, but you can. 
  3. If using the crust for a pudding-type pie, bake empty pie shell in an oven pre-heated to 425 for 10 to 12 minutes.  Otherwise follow directions of your recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm going to have to try this one. I am not very good at pie crusts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted the pie I put in it. You should try it too. It was yummy. This crust was definitely the easiest I've made and was surprisingly very flaky.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails