Monday, September 19, 2011

Pork milanese

Why have I never discovered Rachael Ray before?  I think because I've seen her shows and they have never really impressed me much or something.  However, I picked up her magazine at costco the other day and I have really enjoyed it.  First it has a lot of recipes.  Second, they seem semi healthy (which somehow I though Rachael Ray was not.)  and Third, they look (and so far taste) pretty good.  I think I've found my food magazine subscription for next year.  :)
I was really impressed by how colorful this particular meal was in the picture in the magazine.  Unfortunately, mine just wasn't as colorful because I didn't go and spend 3 times as much for heirloom tomatoes or purple onions.  Sorry Rachael Ray, but my boys just don't care, so I'll go with what is convenient at my grocery store.  I did go with the organic tomatoes, but that is the best I did for this meal.
The meal was absolutely delicious (and I didn't even use fresh thyme)  but it was a bit time consuming (even though the magazine said I could make it in just 30 minutes. HA!!! - luckily I knew better before starting. - and I didn't even have to pound my meat because it was a milanese cut I had in the freezer - actually picked the meal to use the meat - and because it was pretty.)
So, here is how I ended up making it - I'd probably make it the same way if doing it again. Rachael Ray did did things way more sophisticated, used more Parsley, and fresh thyme, "heirloom tomatoes" a fresh ear of corn..... - Unreal that it said you could get it done in 30 minutes.  I guess that would be possible with 30 minutes previous prep.  Anyway, it was still delicious, and I'd love to make it again - the same way we made it this time.
This would have gone great with a rice pilaf or something similar.  However, I just served it like this.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups plain breadcrumbs
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 2-3 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
  • 2-3 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1-1.5 lb. pork tenderloin pounded to 1/8 inch thick - or just buy the Milanese cut
  • oil for frying
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 can corn drained
  • 2-3 Tablespoons finely diced sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300.  Place a rack on a baking sheet.  Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs on 3 plates.  Combine the lemon zest, parsley, thyme and garlic on a cutting board and finely chop together to form a gremolata.  Add to the breadcrumbs along with the cheese and mix together. 
  2. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, corn, onion and basil.  
  3. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper, then coat in flour, eggs and breadcrumbs.  In a large skillet, heat a Tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat.
  4. Fry the cutlets in batches for 1.5-3 minutes per side (depending on thickness -ours were super thin so only needed 1.5-2 minutes per side)  Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the oven as you finish all of the batches.  
  5. Serve topped with tomato-corn salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails