Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cranberry Orange breakfast squares

Must. Stop. Slacking!

Ugh.  I can't believe how big of a slacker I've been in cooking, but especially in posting.  It started with couches in my kitchen - followed immediately by a broken dishwasher, but all excuses are gone.  I must get back.  I don't like it when I don't remember what I did or can't find a recipe.  Love my blog for that.

So, I'm starting with what is in the oven right now.  I'll come back and add some details.  This recipe is from a book I'm borrowing from a friend.  It is called Country Beans by Rita Bingham.  (Don't know why but my Amazon thing is not working so no picture or link of the book today.)

I only changed a little in the recipe, but as always, it is better to write it down before I make something else and forget what I did here.

Since starting, these came out of the oven, and were quite tasty.  They got between 4 and 5 stars from everyone.  The topping was like a granola but I loved the addition of the coconut flavor to the cake.  My silly teenage boys decided it looked like it would be good with milk, so they ate their second piece in a bowl with milk.  I'm not one for soggy cake so it looked gross to me, but they assured me it was delicious that way.

Ideas for next time - make them as cupcakes to cook faster.  Make them using my regular waffle mix - I actually want to compare the recipes.  They seem to be quite close.  If they are different, I could just add more bean flour, or make a separate mix.  Either way it would make them be much quicker for breakfast.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup white bean flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup dry milk powder
  • 1 generous Tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate (they would also be great with some added orange zest)
  • 3/4 cup warm or hot water
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup whole, raw cranberries (I actually pulsed mine in the food processor to break them up a bit because I wanted smaller chunks)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
Topping ingredients
  • 2 cups quick oats
  • 1 cup white bean flour
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 4 Tablespoons honey
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
Directions
  1. Mix dry ingredients (first 5) in a bowl.  Mix wet ingredients (next 4) in another bowl.  
  2. Combine wet and dry ingredients.  Stir in nuts and cranberries.  Pour into a 9X13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  3. Mix topping ingredients together.  Sprinkle over cake.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (mine took 25) or until cake tests done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails