Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cheese enchiladas

Update - yes, I did just post these this past week and they have an update already.  They were really good and we made them again this week.  Much better with store bought corn tortillas.  Wish I could make those properly, but I can't (yet anyway)  This time we did add the pepper, and  used 4 8 oz cans of tomato sauce.  I updated the recipe accordingly. Still very yummy.

So, I have wanted to try this enchilada sauce on my sisters food blog for ever - (seriously, for like over a year - it was posted in May of 2010.)  Anyhoo,(wow, that only stays and doesn't get edited because it is so something my sister would say, so in honor of this being her recipe, Anyhoo...)  since I've been doing more vegetarian meals, and decided to do cheese enchiladas.  I remembered this home-made sauce, so I decided to try it.  I ended up changing it a bit.  It still turned out well.  I think I could have added more spice.  I had planned on doubling the chili powder (from what I added -which was 1/2 the original.) but I ran out.    I also debated adding 1/2 teaspoon pepper to add some spice but didn't.  This turned out to be a wonderful mild sauce.  You could always add more chili powder or black pepper to make it spicier.  This is great for little ones who don't like it too hot.
I also tried to make some tortillas out of maseca - that was a failure.  They turned out like mush in the enchiladas (not to mention the fact that they were insanely hard to make because the dough was stickier than with flour tortillas.)

Ingredients

  • 1-1.5 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
  • 1.5 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 Tablespoon cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 29 oz can tomato sauce (or even 4 8 oz cans)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • tortillas (enough to fill the pan.  I made probably around 16 or so - I prefer corn, so I made some corn and some flour)
  • cheese - enough to go inside and on top - 2-3 cups or so
Directions
  1. In a large saute pan, Saute onions in butter until softened.  Add garlic and salt and saute for another minute or 2.  Add chili powder, cumin and sugar.  Stir another minute - until fragrant.  Stir in tomato sauce and water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes (I did this while making some tortillas)
  2. To make enchiladas, pour a bit of the sauce in the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan.  Dip the tortilla in the sauce (the sauce in the saute pan.)   Add a handful of cheese.  Roll up and put in the pan.  Continue until the pan is full of tortillas.  Pour remaining sauce on top.  Top with additional cheese.
  3. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails