Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tuna Pastry

This recipe is from a relatively new cookbook I have called healthy meals for less.  I have to say, it isn't particularly my favorite mostly because although it says healthy, I don't find the recipes to be all that healthy.  In that I am a bit disappointed.  However, this was good.  It originally intrigued me because it is quite similar to a recipe I have called Tuna biscuit ring.  That is actually something I ate growing up, and both Brandon and I like it, but the kids don't.  This had a different middle, and had you make individual pastries.  That was fun, but time consuming.  I don't think I'd do that again.  I did like the different flavors of the tuna part though.  I'm not a huge fan of the parsley in Tuna biscuit ring, but I liked the lemon/dill flavor of this.
I did make modifications to the recipe in the book.  It called for twice as much fat as my Tuna biscuit ring, and I didn't add that.  I did toss in the teaspoon of sugar that was different.  This recipe didn't call for a cheese sauce, but I really like the cheese sauce of Tuna biscuit ring, so I made a 1/2 batch (since I know the kids don't like it.)  That worked out well.
I kind of got creative with my folding techniques.  Made some look like balls, some I left with the pinched part at the top, and some I folded more like an empanada.  Neither shape worked really any better or quicker for me, so no suggestions there.  Just pick one you like.

Ingredients
  • 2 5-6 oz. cans tuna, drained
  • 1/4 cup diced celery
  • 2 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • 2 Tablespoons diced onion
  • 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dill
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dough;
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup cold butter or shortening
Directions
  1. Mix all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl.  Set aside.
  2. In another large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.  Cut in the butter with a pastry knife, fork, or fingers.  Add the milk and mix until a dough forms.
  3. Roll the dough into a 1/4 in thickness on a floured board.  Cut into 3 inch circles.  Place 1 heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of the dough round.  (Man I did this wrong - would be nice if I read the directions better when I baked rather than when blogging.)  At this point, I pulled the dough up around the tuna and pinched it closed, or folded it and pinched it...  The actual directions say to add another dough round on top and pinch the edges closed.  
  4. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails