Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thai fried chicken

This is another recipe from my taste of home simple and delicious magazine from this month.  I really liked the sauce that you made with this one.  Quite tasty.  I kept stealing sauce from my 2 yr. old next to me so I didn't have to get up and get more.  He wasn't using it anyway - I gave him a piece and he gagged and whined, (however, later I saw him eat some more.  Don't let him know I saw it.  :)
Again, I changed this up, but not as much as some recipes - mostly just put less cayenne pepper in it.  If you like things spicier - try adding 1/4 teaspoon.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups flour, divided
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • dash cayenne pepper (I just used a small sprinkle really)
  • 10 chicken legs, skinned (or whatever type chicken - thighs or a whole chicken cut up -skinned is also a matter of preference I suppose.  I try to be semi healthy, so I skinned them)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
Sauce ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce (I used lite -lower sodium)
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons peanut butter
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions
  1. Place 1/2 cup flour on a plate.  Place coconut milk on another plate.  On a third plate, combine the remaining flour, salt, garlic powder, ginger, and cayenne pepper.  
  2. Grease a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.  Preheat oven to 400.  Heat oil in a large skillet.
  3. Dip chicken in flour, coconut milk, then flour mixture.  Brown chicken in oil in batches.  Transfer to the 9 X 13 when done browning.
  4. Bake uncovered for 25-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165-180.  (the magazine says 180, but my thermometer is automatically set for 165 for poultry, and there is always some carry over, so I cooked them to 165 -at least the largest one that had the thermometer in it.)
  5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients.  bring to a boil;  cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Serve with chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails