Tuesday, May 3, 2011

sweet pineapple and red bean bundles

This recipe also comes from my no whine with dinner book.  This is the second bundle idea I have made in the past week, planned that way on purpose to use up the other half of the egg roll wrappers.  Unfortunately 1 package is less than 24 wrappers, so I only had wrappers for for 8 today.  However, I tasted the rice mixture and LOVED it, so I wasn't sad to just eat that.  I would definitely make the rice mix for lunch or just as is for dinner.  Yum.  The rest of the family didn't seem as impressed, but I really liked the combination of the cumin, rice, beans and pineapple.  I am not as hip on the wrappers.  Either they don't cook enough for my liking, or they crisp too much.   Maybe wrapped as an egg roll, baked in the oven and then flipped?  This time I did spray the bottom of the muffin tin, that seemed to help the bottom brown a bit better, but still I was not impressed.  Here is the recipe for the rice mixture though - super tasty, and super easy, especially if you have a rice cooker.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used white for time yesterday, but will try brown next time.)
  • 1 15 oz can red beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (original was 3/4 - 1/2 was not really spicy at all, but I liked it that way, and my kids ate it with no complaints that way)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 teaspoon)
Directions
  1. Mix it all together in a large bowl.  
  2. If you want to, wrap into bundles like these, but I don't think it is necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails