Monday, May 30, 2011

pulled pork primavera

This recipe came from my no whine with dinner cookbook.  It is not one that I had included in my menu for the week, but for some reason I hadn't made Friday a slow cooker meal day.  That is pretty necessary for me because I teach piano lessons all afternoon on Friday, so I need dinner to be ready when I'm done.  So I went looking through my cookbooks and found this recipe.  It is a super simple pulled pork recipe with the addition of some extra veggies.  I liked that idea.  It turned out surprisingly well considering the fact that I didn't have nearly enough barbecue sauce.  I had DH pick me some up on the way home from work, but I'm sure it would have been even more flavorful if it had been simmering in more sauce.  (It may also have shredded better, but that is another story.)
I added some extra carrot from the original recipe, but that is about it.

Ingredients

  • 2-3 pounds pork loin, trimmed of fat and cut into 3 -4 pieces
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (2 cups)
  • 1 large red bell pepper, diced (2 cups)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 12 oz. jar barbecue sauce
  • 8-10 hamburger buns
Directions
  1. Place pork, carrot, bell pepper, onion and barbecue sauce in a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker and stir to combine.  (you can use 1/2 of the barbecue sauce now, and 1/2 later - I actually used only 1/4-1/3 of the barbecue sauce, because that was all I had at the time.)  Cover and cook on low until the pork is tender.  6-8 hours.  
  2. When meat is done, remove from slow cooker and shred.  Stir meat back into the slow cooker until well combined with the sauce/veggie mixture.  Serve on buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails