Friday, May 6, 2011

Baked southwest eggrolls

This past week has been so nice.  I've had left overs, freezer meals, or super simple meals all week.  I thought of doing another freezer meal yesterday because I have one, and I didn't go shopping because we are headed to Disney World next week, so I don't need a ton of groceries.  However, upon looking at my calendar with my menu later in the day, I discovered that I had this dish written down, then I was thinking that it was 5 de mayo, so I figured I may as well go with it and make the dish.   The most wonderful thing about this meal - It used up a lot of stuff I needed to use.  peppers, spinach, 2 -1/2 full packets of pre-cooked chicken, sour cream, a jalapeno, 1/2 of a large onion...  And, other than the tortillas, I had everything on hand (and technically I could have made tortillas but was out and about, so I bought some.)  Man, I just remembered that I saw some avocados in my fridge and was going to serve this with guacamole, but I forgot to make it.  These would be wonderful with guacamole.  They would also be a great vegetarian meal if you skipped the chicken and added another can of beans.  
I served this with ripe plantains which I fried in coconut oil.  YUM. (Just happened to see these at the store when I went to buy tortillas.  Great addition.
This is from Mel's kitchen cafe.  Now you know why it was wonderful right?  The link has a lovely discussion on picky eaters in the comments if you would like suggestions there as well.  
I wasn't going to write out the recipe, but I want to write some notes, so I will.

Ingredients
Rolls:
  • 1 tablespoon oil (I used about 1/2 Tablespoon butter, and 1/2 Tablespoon canola - I just love my onions sauteed in butter.)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 2 cups chopped pre-cooked chicken (or 1.5 lb raw)
  • 1 green or red pepper, diced small
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, membranes removed, seeded and finely minced 
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 10 ounces spinach, chopped (original called for frozen, thawed and drained, 10 oz looks like a lot in the pot, but it cooks down.
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (original was 1 teaspoon.  I'd use 1 next time.  I'm just always leery of too much spice, and where this had a jalapeno too, I cut the chili powder.)
  • 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2-3 cups shredded cheese, such as Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack or Cheddar
  •  tortillas  (i used a 20 pack of regular sized.  I ended up with 16 rolls)

Chipotle Dipping Sauce: (I didn't actually measure any of this - it was the sour cream left in the container with what looked like 1/4 as much salsa tossed on top and stirred)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • dash of chipotle chili powder (to taste)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the dipping sauce ingredients. Mix well and set aside or refrigerate until ready to serve.
  3. In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil/butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the cubed chicken  and peppers and cook over medium or medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is warmed through, (or cooked if using raw  3-5 minutes.)  Add the rinsed and drained black beans, spinach, corn, cilantro and seasonings. Mix well and cook until the mixture is heated through.   (Using fresh spinach, I added everything then tossed the spinach on top.  It filled my pan completely.  I then sat there with my kitchen scissors and chopped the spinach into pieces, and stirred it in until it wilted. Worked out just fine.)  Add the cheese and stir well, cooking, until the mixture is hot  and cheese is mostly melted.
  4. Warm the tortillas. (Mine were fresh baked from the store so I didn't need to warm them, but you can warm them in the microwave between moist paper towels.)   Place some of the filling on each tortilla and roll up tightly, egg-roll style, folding in the edges. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheets (secure with a toothpick if needed).  
  5. Spray with coking spray and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, until the rolls are lightly browned and heated through. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I have a similar recipe that I make all the time and I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to take a week to respond. We went to Disney World - no time for blogging. I'll have to check your blog for your version. These were definitely yummy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails