Tuesday, April 19, 2011

sesame crackers

So, I've wanted to try making crackers for a while now.  One day I felt like crackers and cream cheese and didn't have the cream cheese, so I made the wheat things that I'll post a little later.  They were a success so the next day I tried these.  Both recipes were from King Arthur Flour whole grain baking book.  This is such a great book ( I just pulled it back out looking for this recipe and saw some quinoa pancakes - guess what we are having for breakfast in the morning.  I love having a wheat grinder.)  For these crackers I didn't uses nearly as many sesame seeds as it called for - mostly because I didn't have that many, so I made sure to include the optional sesame oil - they called for "hot sesame oil."  Not sure if they meant temperature, or if there is a spicy one out there, but I just used regular sesame oil in my batter to compensate for the missing seeds.  We cut these with a cute roller we have for raviolis to get the nice zigzag edge.  This is how I made them.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I just grind it finer in the wheat grinder)
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, chilled (I may have shorted this 1/2 Tablespoon but I can't remember for sure.)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I toasted mine in a pan before using them.)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. Mix together dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.)  Cut in butter until mixture is the texture of cornmeal.  (I do this by hand because I find it the easiest.)  Add the sesame seeds and toss to combine.  Add the milk and sesame oil and mix just until the dough comes together.
  3. Working with 1/2 of the dough at a time, Roll dough out on parchment until 1/16 inch thick.  (It is a little tricky to get the parchment to stay put while rolling, but I found that easier than having to transfer all of the 1 inch crackers to a cookie sheet when I was done - I tried it both ways with the wheat thins. Parchment won for me.)  
  4. Using a pastry wheel (we had a zigzag wheel) cut the crackers into 1 inch squares (or get creative and make or use decorative shaped cutters.)  The original says you may reroll the dough once but that is it - I never had to - I just made irregular shapes on the edges.  I figured they all tasted the same.  I also didn't roll on flour, so I think the dough would have worked better, but like I said, I didn't re-roll at all.)
  5. Move the parchment paper with the cut crackers already on there over to a 10 X 15 baking sheet.  Bake until golden brown - 15-18 minutes.  Remove and let them cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails