Monday, April 11, 2011

Raspberry breakfast cake

So, I got another new cook.  This one is called no whine with dinner.  Any guesses as to the reason I got this book?  Couldn't have anything to do with a super picky 2 year old.  Let me tell you, he wouldn't even try the cake.  (of course he did know dad was making waffles as well, but I don't think he would have tried it anyway.) So, this was quite tasty.  a bit more sugar than I would have liked.  I think I'll try it again and sub out some truvia.  I did like the crunch the sugar on top of the raspberries gave it.  I was also surprised at how quickly it cooked.  I used frozen berries and expected it to take a bit longer, but I actually pulled it out of the oven a minute early because I thought it smelled like it was burning.
As far as this cookbook goes - it is OK.  I've gotten into a health food kick again, and am trying to reduce sugar and processed foods while increasing fruits and veggies.  This book, while healthier than other books doesn't help me out there as much as I would have liked.  It does a lot of things like use canola oil rather than other oil, and use wheat bread, or add wheat germ, but it still uses a decent amount of sugar, and white flour.  However, it isn't bad - I'm judging this on my newfound health kick.  On a normal day 2 months ago I would have thought this book was the greatest.  I still think it is good.  I can't wait to try more recipes from it (even though Mr. picky didn't even try this one.)  This recipe was delicious. (actually getting a 5 star rating from me.) Definitely more like cake than breakfast.  I also like that every recipe includes nutritional information at the bottom.  That is a plus.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar, divided
  • 1/4 cup canola oil (I use a healthy blend oil)
  • 1/2 cup milk -called for 1% - I used 1/4 cup 2% and 1/4 cup skim because I don't buy 1% usually
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup raspberries (I used frozen with no problems)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails