Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cinnamon walnut quinoa

I really wanted to make some type of bar breakfast this morning, but really didn't have time.  I certainly didn't feel like cereal because I've had that a couple of days in a row - not sure what happened to my good breakfast planning.  So, I remembered this quinoa I had seen on $5 dinner mom's website and decided to give it a try.  I did cut the recipe down to 1 serving size, but for the most part, proportions are the same - I just used a bit more cinnamon.  This was pretty easy and tasty - took 15 minutes to cook, but that worked just fine - I cleaned up and took care of other people's breakfast while it cooked.  This was plenty sweet - maybe a touch too sweet.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup quinoa
  • dash salt
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar (I may try honey next time)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • a few walnuts, chopped
  • a few raisins
Directions
  1. Bring water to boil in a small saucepan.  Add quinoa.  Return to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and cook 14 minutes.  
  2. Remove lid, add brown sugar and cinnamon, continue to boil for 1-2 more minutes until liquid is reduced and quinoa is done.  I stirred the walnuts and raisins in just before taking it off the stove.  
  3. Serve as you would oatmeal - I had mine with a little milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails