Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pizza popcorn

So for dinner today I made a roast in the crock pot, but he cut of meat I bought turned out to be just horrible, and I really wasn't feeling like eating the beef.  Add to that the fact that Brandon took Duncan and Tavio to the Y, them to M2C (A meeting with dinner included) and I really didn't feel like trying to get 2 little boys to eat a roast I didn't even feel like eating - not to mention the fact that I would have to still come up with some sides for it.  Soooo, I decided for one of my sides I'd try this pizza popcorn - then I thought hmm I'll have smoothies too - get some fruit in, That is what we ended up eating.  I don't know if I'm a bad mom or not - at least Mr. Picky 2 year old ate dinner (not the smoothie - he won't even try them because he is a total goober.  :)
Anyway, I only slightly changed the recipe and I'm glad I did.  I definitely wouldn't have wanted more pepper.  I really liked the way it was.  My only complaint is that the seasoning didn't stick very well to the popcorn.  Maybe next time I'll try the powdery parmesan.  Today I used actual parmesan that I grated from a block because I had some that needed to be used up.  Both little boys also liked the popcorn and ate it all.  However Benjamin did say it was spicy (I think more of as an excuse to need more smoothie than anything, but whatever.)
Here is how I made it - the original came from $5 dinner mom.  Awesome book!

Ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (mine was actually a garlic salt mix (+ herbs or something light)
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper.  (I was still using my 1/2 tsp, but filled it under 1/2 way full, but more then 1/4 full.)
  • 8-10 cups popped popcorn (I just make 1/2 cup kernals.)
Directions
  1. In a blender, blend the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, garlic salt and pepper for 1 minute.
  2. Add freshly popped popcorn to a large bowl and sprinkle with the cheese/herb mix until coated.  (I actually tried spraying with a butter flavor popcorn spray and sprinkling to get the stuff to stick to the popcorn, but it kept falling to the bottom of the bowl.  Not sure how to solve this problem in the future, maybe the powdery Parmesan - then you wouldn't really need the blender either??  I will probably try that next time.  Definitely one to try again.


Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails