Friday, March 11, 2011

Overnight honey nut granola

Yet another good recipe from my new favorite cookbook.  I was guessing the granola would be ok, but that I would love the way it was made again, but actually I also love the granola.  So tasty.   It's probably just sweeter than my normal granola.  I did cut the oil down in the recipe, and had absolutely no problems.  It is perfectly crunchy, makes wonderful clumps and tastes great.  Definitely a keeper - oh did I mention how easy it was to prepare?  I didn't even have to stir it while cooking - super simple.
I did make one on a silicone baking mat and one not - loved the baking mat - the granola came off in perfect clumps just by picking it up off the cookie sheet.  So nice.  (I had to scrape the other pan off with a spatula.)  The only thing I didn't like was that my baking mat was a bit bigger than my cookie sheet.  If (more like when) I buy another one I'll make sure look on amazon or something and find one that is the same size.

So, here is the recipe the way I made it.  Super simple. -I've updated this to include coconut oil and optional ingredients I have added on occasion.  I've also been known to add another cup of oats and add less nuts if I don't have 2 cups or don't want 2 cups.

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil -I now use coconut oil
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • 5 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • other optional ingredients - 1/3-1/2 cup ground flax seed, unsweetened coconut, raisins....
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, honey, vanilla and cinnamon.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, and pecans.  Pour honey mixture over oat mixture.  Stir until evenly coated.
  4. Spread evenly in a thin, single layer on 2 ungreased rimmed baking sheets (If you have them, I'd line them with silicone baking mats - or parchment would also work and be nice.)
  5. Bake for 10 minutes.  Turn off the oven and leave the granola in the oven overnight.
  6. In the morning remove the granola and serve.
How easy is that.  I love that it was just ready in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails