Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Lemon rosemary meatballs

Here's another from my eating well magazine.  The original is here.  I changed things up a bit -primarily using beef rather than turkey, so I used beef broth stock than chicken.  I also adjusted a bit for portions.
I really liked this.  It looked a lot like Swedish meatballs, but the flavor was very different.  I loved the combination of lemon and rosemary.  Very tasty.  I'd definitely make it again.

Ingredients

  • 1 medium onion, cut into chunks (I only had about 1/3 of a larger onion
  • 2 large cloves garlic, 
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest (2 lemons for me)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 1/4 teaspoons dried, divided
  • 1.25 pounds 93%-lean ground beef
  • 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, I used whole-wheat 
  • 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons oil
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (I actually had cooking sherry or substitute more beef stock)
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 8-10 oz. pasta 
Directions

  1.  The first thing I did was chop up my bread in my food processor.  Their tip said don't cut the crusts (I didn't) and not to toast it, so I didn't.)  Dump crumbs in a medium bowl and place onion, garlic and lemon zest in the food processor. Add 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried) and pulse just until the mixture is finely and evenly chopped (but not mushy). (I pulsed, let mine run for a minute, and pulsed a bit more to get it nicely chopped and uniform.)
  2. Add  the mixture to the bowl with breadcrumbs and  mix in turkey, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper until combined. Shape into about 16 meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter). Place flour in a shallow dish and roll the meatballs in it to lightly coat. (Reserve the remaining flour.)
  3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add meatballs and cook, turning once, until brown, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
  4. Add wine (or 1/2 cup stock) to the pan, increase heat to medium-high and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until almost evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Add the can of broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and return the meatballs to the pan along with the remaining 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1/4 teaspoon dried). Cover and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the meatballs to a serving bowl.
  5. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until reduced to 1.5 cups or so, 4 to 8 minutes. Whisk lemon juice and 1 tablespoon +1 teaspoon of the reserved flour in a small bowl (discard any remaining flour); whisking constantly, add the flour mixture to sauce in the pan. Simmer, whisking, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve. Serve the sauce over the meatballs.  (I actually strained mine before adding the flour hoping not to have to do it after, but my flour lumped, so definitely do some heavy duty whisking so it doesn't lump (or strain it only after, or strain it twice.)
  6. Serve meatballs over pasta, drizzle with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails