Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mock Pecan pie

So, I've had this recipe up on my computer so I would try it for a couple of weeks.  I didn't end up going with pecan pies for Thanksgiving this year, so I made it the Saturday after.  It is from everyday foodstorage.  I wanted to try her crust recipe from he pie crust 101 video's anyway, and almost did, but I made myself try 1 whole grain pie crust and 1 regular.  So, this gave me a great excuse to try the other pie crust.  (Great pie crust by the way.  It gets it's own post because it was very good.
So, this pie uses pinto beans in the filling.  That is what makes it a "mock" pecan pie.  It still tasted plenty good.  The texture of the middle was just a little bit different.  I used white beans because when I opened the can of pinto beans that DH had bought they were garlic flavored - not going to work in pecan pie.  It was fine with the white beans.  I liked it.  Great flavor - just different texture.  I did use pecan halves and had to place them nicely on there.  I had bought them early planning to make pie which normal uses halves.  This bottom layer is pretty thick so the nuts won't just float nicely to the top, so I'd probably just use the chopped next time.  Bottom line - this is still a pie - just has a bit of fiber worked into it.
The pie crust I used was great so it will get it's own post.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups cooked, drained pinto beans (or white beans.)  
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2-3/4 cup finely chopped pecans (use more if desired.  I just covered the top of mine with pecan halves.
Directions
  1. Cream butter, sugar, eggs and beans.  Add vanilla and salt.  Pour into a 9 inch unbaked pie shell (I suggest a deep dish - definitely nothing on the shallow side.)
  2. Sprinkle pecans over the mixture.  Cover crust with foil or a crust cover.  Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.  reduce heat to 350 and bake for about 20 minutes more.  (Mine took a good 10-20 minutes longer than that.)  Pie is done when knife inserted in center comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails