Tuesday, December 14, 2010

gnocchi with white beans

Here is our dinner from last night.  This was the first time I had tried gnocchi.  While I absolutely love to do things different and cook things different all of the time, I'm still skeptical of new menu items at times - particularly new ingredients.  However, here I was pleasantly surprised.  I really liked the gnocchi.  Liked the chewy texture, and liked the taste.  I was also a tiny bit nervous that there wouldn't be enough flavor added to this meal - I actually used way more cheese than called for - just in case ;).  However, the seasoning from the Italian style diced tomatoes was enough.  The meal was great.  Although 4yo griped about it, once he tried it, he ate it all - still didn't like the spinach part, but loved the gnocchi.  11yo, dad, and 13yo all had seconds leaving me with no left overs.  I wasn't the biggest fan of the spinach, but then again, I never am a huge fan of cooked spinach - texture thing mostly.  However, that didn't stop me from having some seconds.  Yum!
Oh, almost forgot.  This recipe is from my taste of home healthy cooking magazine - sent in by Julianne Meyers from Hinesville, Georgia.

Ingredients

  • 1 medium onion, chopped (I used 1/2 of a medium large)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic)
  • 1 Tablespoon butter (original was olive oil, but I can't resist sauteing onions in butter)
  • 1 package (16 oz.) potato gnocchi
  • 1 package (6 oz.) fresh baby spinach
  • 1 can (15 oz.) great northern beans (or other white bean - original was a larger white bean)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (I didn't measure, but I used more like 1 cup - I like cheese)
  • 3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (can't say that I measured, but I used about that.)
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.  Add gnocchi;  cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.  (Not sure mine were ever "golden brown"  they took on a brown color, but from the toasted butter/onions in the pan more than from cooking - didn't affect the dish though.)  
  2. Stir in spinach;  cook until spinach is wilted.
  3. Add the beans, tomatoes and pepper;  heat through.  Sprinkle with cheeses;  cover and remove from heat.  let stand for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails