Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chocolate peanut butter truffles

I made 1 types of truffles yesterday.  A chocolate cream cheese and a chocolate peanut butter.  Both recipes came from old Kraft food and family magazines.  This one from the holiday 2006 edition.  I went searching there because I remember making truffles in the past that were very simple and I thought they had come from one of the Kraft magazines.  Neither of these were as simple as I remembered.  This one is tasty, but ended up being very sticky.  The original had you roll them in powdered sugar or crushed nuts or coconut, or crushed oreos.  However, I dipped them in melted semi-sweet chocolate.  They were very good that way.  The semi-sweet shell is nice and hard, then the center is nice and creamy with a nice light peanut butter flavor.

Ingredients

  • 2 -2 1/2 packages (8 oz) Semi-sweet baking chocolate squares
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 8 oz. tub cool whip, thawed
Directions
  1. Microwave 1 package (8 oz, 8 squares)  chocolate on high for 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minutes.  stir until chocolate is completely melted.  
  2. Stir in peanut butter until well blended.  Cool to room temperature.  Gently stir in whipped topping.  refrigerate 1 hour.
  3. Melt remaining package of chocolate in microwave as before (I started with 1 package and had to do 2 more squares to finish, but with the 2 additional squares I also had enough to cover some of the other truffles I had made)
  4. Scoop peanut butter mixture with melon baller or teaspoon (I don't recommend the melon baller.  I used my cookie scoop for these and made them a bit bigger than my other truffles.  It worked well.)  Shape into 1 inch balls.  Dip the balls in the melted chocolate and place on a lined baking sheet (I lined mine with non-stick aluminum foil)  
Makes about 3 dozen (I actually made more like 30)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails