Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sweet potato muffins

Wow, my little boys are not up yet, so I'm taking advantage and finishing up with this muffin recipe I need to type.  (Probably should go and do the cleaning I needed to do yesterday, but I can do that while they eat breakfast right?)
This recipe is from my Simple and Delicious magazine.  When I made slow cooker chicken that had sweet potatoes this past week, I made extra sweet potatoes.  I had not planned on making these muffins - hadn't thought much about them, but when I had extra sweet potatoes, I thought I remembered a recipe using them so I looked and found these (also some for biscuits and a few other things I should try, but we needed a breakfast this day, so I tried these out.)  Upon further inspection, I found out why I hadn't given these a second glance - 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of oil.  While I'm glad to get some sweet potatoes into my kiddos, I don't need to have equal parts of sugar nor that much oil, so I made some modifications.  DH was helping in the kitchen so I could finish my workout again - gotta love him for that - he knows I'm much more sane if I can take out some aggression each morning lifting weights or running.  :)  So, I kept chatting with him in between weight lifting on possible substitutions.  I would have just subbed out applesauce for the oil, but we were out.   However, we did have some apple juice concentrate.  We decided to try that.  We also didn't have a full 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes, but we did have 1/4 -1/2 cup of pumpkin puree that was left over from something else, so we combined the 2 to make 2 cups of puree.  I also got him to sub out 1 cup of sugar for 1 cup splenda.
The results - surprisingly, these turned out great.  I was worried about the texture because of the lack of oil, and subbing the apple juice concentrate rather than applesauce, but no problems.  The were super sweet.  There was a glaze recipe with this muffin recipe, but I didn't make it.  After trying one, there was NO reason they needed glaze.  The kids loved these.  One of the only ways to get a veggie into my toddler.  My 4 year old ate 3 both days he had them, so they are definitely a keeper.  I probably only give them a 4, but because they were well liked by my kids, they get bumped up to 4.5.  Next time I will probably use applesauce instead of the juice concentrate, and I won't leave out the cinnamon.  However, I may actually reduce the sugar.  Try 3/4 cup sugar and splenda - or switch to brown sugar and splenda. - maybe 1 cup splenda, 1/2 cup brown sugar??  Just my thoughts for next time.   This is what we did this time


Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon (DH forgot this)
  • 1 cup splenda
  • 1 cups sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups cold, mashed sweet potatoes (we had about 1 1/2 c sweet potato and 1/2 c pumpkin)
  • 1 cup applesauce (we used about 3 Tablespoons oil and the rest of the cup apple juice concentrate)
Directions
  1. In a small bowl mix dry ingredients.  (flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and sugar)  In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.  (egg, sweet potatoes and applesauce.)  Stir wet and dry ingredients together just until moistened.  
  2. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Note:  Original recipe called for 2 cups self rising flour.  I don't keep that on hand.  The substitution is place 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the bottom of a measuring cup and add regular flour to 1 cup.  Not sure what DH did, but I really don't think the integrity of the muffin is going to be off by that much if you have an extra Tablespoon of flour.  However, we did use apple juice concentrate and oil which is very liquidy.  If with applesauce it seems a little thick, just add another Tablespoon of applesauce (or sweet potato) to get desired consistency.  Runs in my mind  (from what I observed) that our batter was plenty runny, and took a little extra time to cook. (usually does with substitutions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails