Sunday, November 14, 2010

overnight blueberry pecan French toast

I finally made this blueberry pecan french toast that I have wanted to try.  I saw it on My kitchen cafe a while back.  I like an overnight french toast because I can do the prep the night before and toss it in the oven that day.  It can cook while I get ready for the day.  It works out well for a good breakfast even on a busy morning.  I did some of the "that morning" steps the night before.  I'll write it up like I made it because I really liked it that way.  So simple this morning.
I did not use a Baguette.  I used 6 bolillos minus the ends.  I liked that because it made smaller portions.  Very easy to serve differing amounts to different children.  I do think it could have used a little more milk mixture using that many bolillos, but it was still delicious.  Next time if I use 6 bolillos, I'd probably add 1 more egg and a 3 - 4 Tablespoons more milk.  Another note to self - my kiddos didn't eat all of the pecans -crazy kids, they were delicious toasted in butter and covered in caramel sauce.  Anyway, when making it again, I'll probably only put pecans on 1/2 of it.  Why waste nuts the kids are going to leave on their plate??


Ingredients

  • 1 French bread baguette (or 5-6 bolillos)
  • 6 eggs 
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim)
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup splenda
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
  • 2 cups blueberries (I used frozen, and liked that.)
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
Directions
  1. Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray.  Cut 1 1/2 inch slices from the baguette and arrange in one layer in the dish (about 6-8 slices.)  (Using the bolillos, I cut off the ends, then cut each bolillo in 1/3.  Made 18 little slices.)  
  2. Whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, 1/4 cup brown sugar and splenda in a large bowl and pour evenly over the bread.  
  3. Toast pecans in 1 teaspoon of butter in a skillet until fragrant.  
  4. Sprinkle pecans and blueberries (I sprinkled them frozen, they defrosted in the fridge overnight.)  over the bread.  
  5. Cover and Refrigerate mixture until all liquid is absorbed by the bread.  At least 8 hours and up to 1 day.  I also tossed the 4 Tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a saucepan and sat it on my stove to be ready for the morning.  It let the butter soften and I didn't need to cut it in pieces.)
  6. The next morning:   Preheat oven to 350.    Remove dish from the fridge.  Turn on oven and heat butter and brown sugar until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.  Drizzle butter mixture over bread and and bake for 30-40 minutes or until liquid from blueberries is bubbling.  (It took all 40 minutes for me, but my oven wasn't completely pre-heated when I tossed it in -I was too quick by preparing everything the night before.  :)  Not a problem in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails