Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Orange-Maple vegetable ribbons

So, I had to re log in today because my computer actually shut down, but that made me notice that this is my 500th blog post.  I had to check out when my blogoversary is on Saturday.  Can't believe I've posted that many recipes in a year.  At the same time, I have enjoyed blogging my recipes.  It has been very helpful to me, and I use my blog all the time.  So, it has been worth the time.  I guess I should have chosen a neat dessert for my 500th post or something, but I am too far behind in my blogging right now to even think about that.  Maybe I'll do something special for my blogoversary.
So, enough blog stuff and on to my post for today (even if my mind is still turning over ideas for a blogoversary post.)  These are the vegetables that we had with potato crusted snapper last night.  The recipe is from my simple and delicious magazine.
After making these I have a strong opinion against vegetable ribbons.  I swear I've tried them before, and they haven't been too bad, but last night I was shredding 3 carrots, 1 zucchini and 1 yellow summer squash.  It was painstaking.  Nothing "Simple" about it.  OK, the process isn't overly difficult at first.  Just grate away with the vegetable peeler, but then the veggie gets thin and hard to hold onto, and flies across the kitchen (maybe not for everyone, but I had a renegade carrot that wanted to take flight.)  Then you have to repeat the process 5 times.  Then the squash cooks way faster than the carrots, and they are hard to stir, and as you stir the veggies, the squash starts to fall apart and doesn't much look like ribbons anymore, so why on earth did you bother with all of that peeling in the first place????  My picture surely doesn't look as cute as the one in the simple and delicious magazine.  They cave these cute little ribbons of veggies - very nice.  Mine was like a blob of veggies.  I don't think I will try to ribbon cut veggies again (at least until I forget what a pain it was.)
So, on the plus side, I really liked this dish.  It actually was super tasty.   If I make this again, I would definitely just slice the zucchini and the squash, and probably julienne cut the carrots (in my food processor not by hand.)  I think that would help the carrots help cook as fast as the squash.
Other than the ribbon business, I loved these veggies.  The sauce was definitely delicious.  I loved the maple flavor with the orange on veggies.  The pecans added a nice nuttiness.  (even though I totally forgot to put them on until the last minute and I didn't toast them.


Ingredients

  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1 large yellow summer squash
  • 3 medium to large carrots
  • 1 Tablespoon butter (I think I actually used a bit less -it was a very thin Tablespoon)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 Tablespoon orange juice (I squeezed it from the orange I zested)
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans (we didn't measure this, I just sprinkled them on the pecan loving peoples veggies.)
Directions
  1. Using a vegetable peeler, cut vegetables into very thin lengthwise strips.  (Or just chop the zucchini in slices and dice or julienne cut the carrots.  It is what I will do next time.)
  2. In a large skillet, saute the vegetable strips in butter until tender.  Remove and set aside.  In the same skillet, combine the syrup, orange juice and peel, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil;  cook for 2-3 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated.  Return veggies to the pan and toss to coat;  Sprinkle with pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails