Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cheddar mashed potatoes

I saw this in my Taste of home healthy cooking magazine a month or month and a half ago and have been waiting to try it.  It seemed very interesting to me because it used a bunch of regular potatoes and 1 sweet potato, and also looked like it had some tasty spices.  It did not disappoint.  Really we were lucky this year.  Everything turned out so well.  Very good food for all of Thanksgiving. I made a couple of changes - I'll mention them in the recipe though.  I thought I had taken a picture of the potatoes, but I guess not.  This is the best I could do.  A picture them on the plate with the rest of the Thanksgiving dinner.

Ingredients

  • 3 3/4 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (I just used russet.  It is what I had.)
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 6 garlic cloves, halved
  • 1 cup (8 oz.) reduced-fat sour cream 
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Directions
  1. Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Drain.
  2. In a large bowl (I threw them in my mixer) mash potatoes.  Stir in the sour cream, thyme, salt, pepper and 1 cup cheese.  Transfer to a 9 X 13 pan coated with cooking spray.  
  3. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake, uncovered at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails