Thursday, November 11, 2010

Brown Jug soup

This was a pretty good soup we tried from the fix it and forget it cookbook.  I changed a bit, but not much.  The original called for 1 can of chicken broth, then a quart of water and 4 bouillon cubes.  I thought that was strange.  I just used 1 quart + 1 cup of chicken stock.  I also found the measures to be weird.  I debated all day whether or not to add chicken.  I finally decided to add some chicken when I added the cheese thinking that maybe the 2 year old would at least eat chicken - no such luck, but I didn't mind the addition of the chicken.  It could be added raw at the beginning of the day.  The soup would be great without chicken as well.


Ingredients

  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups diced celery (it was 5 or 6 ribs for me but recipe says 3-4)
  • 2 cups diced onion (my 1 large was more than 2 cups -recipe says 2 medium.)
  • 4 cups diced potato (3 large was more than 4 cups -recipe said 4)
  • 3 cups diced carrots (3 large were plenty for me - recipe said 8)
  • 10 oz. package frozen whole kernel corn (mine was 16 oz.)
  • 2 10 3/4 oz cans cream of chicken soup
  • 8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
  • optional (2 raw chicken breasts diced, or 2 cups precooked chicken)
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except cheese (and chicken if using pre-cooked only.) in slow cooker (my 6 quart was perfect size for this meal.)
  2. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or until vegetables are tender.  (Ours cooked for about 9 and it was perfect.)
  3. Just before serving, add cheese (and precooked chicken if using)  Stir until cheese is melted.  Serve.  (My chicken was a bit cold so I left the soup in the slow cooker for 10-15 minutes until it heated through.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails