Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wheat bread 2

So I finally ventured away from my wheat bread recipe and tried something new.  I have wanted to try a new recipe for a long time, but I really like my recipe so I haven't attempted it.  I have really wanted to try the bosch recipe (found here on page 27) ever since I got my bosch, but I have never had Dough Enhancer.  Another reason I haven't tried something different.  I saw that Mel and My kitchen cafe  had made it without the dough enhancer.  I also liked that she let the yeast sponge for a bit, and I was very curious to try her method to cook the bread - putting it in a cold oven.  The bread I make has multiple dough enhancers, so I decided to try my hand at bosch bread - upping the yeast like mel did, letting it sponge like mel, and baking it like mel, but I added 2 Tablespoons of buttermilk powder, 2 Tablespoons of potato flakes, and 2 Tablespoons of vinegar.  The resulting bread had a wonderful texture.  It was nice and soft.  I prefer the flavor of my other bread a little bit, but this was still very good.    I ended up adding all 15 cups of flour, and making 5 loaves (but one of my pans is a 1.5 lb pan.)  Here is what I did.

Ingredients

  • 6 cups warm water
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons instant yeast
  • 2 Tablespoons salt
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 2 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten
  • 2 Tablespoons buttermilk powder (or powdered milk)
  • 2 Tablespoons potato flakes
  • 2 Tablespoons vinegar
  • 12-15 cups whole wheat flour (fresh ground is best if possible)
Directions
  1. Mix warm water, yeast and 8 cups flour in the bowl of a bosch.  Stir to combine.  Let sit to sponge for 10-15 minutes.  (I got the rest of my stuff together while I was waiting -ground the 2nd half of my wheat, and got out the rest of my ingredients.)
  2. Add salt, oil, honey, gluten, buttermilk powder, potato flakes, and vinegar.  Mix to combine.  Add flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Continue mixing for 5 -8 minutes.  
  3. Spray loaf pans with cooking spray.  Spray hands and counter with cooking spray.  Turn dough onto counter and divide into 5-6 pieces.  Put into prepared loaf pans.  Cover and let rise until they are 1 inch over the pan.  (This time I actually sprayed my loaves with cooking spray and covered them with plastic wrap.  I really like to make my microwave a proofing box by boiling some water in there and then when it is nice and steamy, putting the loaves in there.  I wasn't sure all of the loaves would fit, and I didn't want to get out the microwave shelf and try it today, so I didn't, but usually, that is what I do.)
  4. When bread is risen, place in a cold oven.  Turn oven on to 350 and bake for 38 minutes.  
This baking method worked pretty well.  I wish I would have rotated my bread at about 32 minutes and maybe left them a total fo 40 minutes so that they would have been more golden everywhere, but part of that is also my pans.  I love my chicago metal loaf pan, but I only have 1.  It turned out much better than my pyrex pans or the silicon pan I have.  I have the 1.5 lb size, but I think I will order some in the 1 lb size so they will fit into bags a bit better.  They really are a great loaf pan.  I think next time I will also get the nonstick so I can use them to bake the 5 minute a day type bread.Chicago Metallic Professional Nonstick 1-Pound Loaf Pan


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails