Wednesday, October 13, 2010

pumpkin spice bagels

I made these bagels for breakfast today.  Yum!  I may never buy bagels again.  I had attempted bagels once before with disastrous results and because of that I've steered clear of them for a while.  These however were so tasty.  Just the right amount of chewiness, plus a lovely pumpkin spice flavor.  I ate mine with maple nut bagel spread. Yum.  The only thing I may possibly change for another time in making these is to lessen the cloves or nutmeg.  (Actually I think I accidentally added too much nutmeg in the first place.)  I think the bagel itself is fine with the spices used, but with the bagel spread, I think it would be better just a wee bit milder.  I found this recipe in my taste of home healthy cooking magazine this month.  They actually had you make them in the dough cycle of a bread machine, but I didn't feel like pulling mine out so I just made them in the mixer.  Just as easy - actually easier because my bread machine is buried in the back of my pantry.

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water, divided (I used warm water)
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I may have used 1 teaspoon, but would cut back.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 package (1/4 oz.- scant Tablespoon) yeast (I use instant
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 Tablespoon cornmeal
Directions
  1. Mix and knead water, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, flour and yeast in a mixer. (5-10 minutes depending on your mixer.)  Cover and let rise 1 hour.
  2. Turn dough onto a lightly greased work surface.   Shape into 9 balls.  Push thumb through centers to form a 1 inch hole.  Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring.  Flatten rings slightly.  Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 400.  Fill a Dutch oven 2/3 full of water (I filled mine only 1/2 full, and I waited to fill it until after the 10 minuter rest.)  Bring to a boil.  drop bagels, 2 at a time into boiling water.  Cook 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer.  Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
  4. Whisk egg white and remaining water.  Brush over bagels.  Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal.  Place bagels on prepared pan.  (Directions said 2 inches apart, but they wouldn't all fit with that much space in between.  I just made all 9 fit on 1 cookie sheet.0  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  (Mine took 20.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails