Wednesday, October 13, 2010

meatballs

I so should have posted this yesterday.  I had wanted to do some barbecue meatballs but when I went to make them I realized they were supposed to cook in the slow cooker.  So I kind of made up my own meal.  In the past I have tried a meatball recipe from a Kraft Food and Family magazine.  I really like the meatballs because they are super simple.  Just meat, stove top, an egg and water.  The meatball get their bread crumbs and flavoring from the stove top.  Super simple.  The recipe I found from my magazine even had 2 options of sauce.  One was like spaghetti with some spaghetti sauce and cream cheese.  The other was with beef gravy and sour cream.  I didn't want the spaghetti one since we just had spaghetti for Aaron's birthday, but I didn't have beef gravy so I made up a sauce that was similar to my mom's stroganoff base.  For the meatballs I will give you Kraft's recipe, then what I did in parenthesis.  The sauce I made up.  I served this over a funny little egg noodle.  Real short and skinny.  My hope was that picky 2 year old would decide it was an edible pasta shape (seems to only go for elbow or spaghetti shape noodles go figure.)  Seemed to work OK.  I rate it 4.5 star for the meatballs.  Not really sure about the sauce because I didn't eat at home.  Brandon said it was fine.

Meatball ingredients

  • 2 lbs ground beef (I had 1.2 lbs.)
  • 1 pkg (6 oz.) Stove top (I used 1 1/2 cups -6 oz. was about 2 cups)
  • 1 1/4 cup water (I used 3/4 cup)
  • 2 eggs (I used only 1)
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400.  Line 2 (only 1 in my case) 15 X 10 X 1 inch pans with foil.  Spray with cooking spray (I just used the no-stick foil.)  Mix all ingredients until blended. Shape into 32 (1 1/2 inch) balls using 1/4 cup for each.  (I only made 16 and that was pushing it using 1/4 cup.  You have to go a bit smaller than that to get this yield.)
  2. Place meatballs on pan and bake 16-18 minutes or until done (160.)
Sauce Ingredients
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 Tablespoon steak sauce
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.  Stir until smooth and heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails