Tuesday, October 12, 2010

cranburgers with sweet potato fries

This recipe comes from my taste of home magazine.  I changed it up some, but not much.  I used chicken which I ground myself in my grinder attachment for my kitchenaide.  I also used 3 medium sweet potatoes rather than a package of frozen sweet potato fries.  It worked out well.
I did burn the burgers, and I even turned the heat down, so really watch that.  I think it was something about the cranberry sauce in them or something.  It also made more like 7-8 patties, which was fine.
The flavor was decent.  I wasn't a big fan of the cranberry sauce on the burger because it made my bread soggy.  I did however like the flavor and ended up spreading it on bite by bite as I ate the burger.
While I liked this to be different, I prefer a regular burger.
I did really like the sweet potato fries.  I always like sweet potato fries.  These had a new seasoning and I really liked it.  I doubled what the original called for and did not use all of it, but I did use more than 1/2 of it, so I'd double it again next time.  I did have to spray them a couple of times to get them to crisp up, and still they were not all that crisp.  Next time I think I would probably toss them in a Tablespoon of oil, then toss them in the seasonings (which would help use all of the seasoning), then cook them, but again, I was using regular sweet potatoes and the original recipe called for prepared frozen, sweet potato fries.  One of mine was a bit large so I didn't use all of my sweet potatoes but that was because I really only wanted 1 tray of fries.
I'm leaving the instructions together because it worked well to make them together.  The fries cooked while working on the burgers.
Here is what I did.

Ingredients

  • 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into french fries (or 1 16 oz. pkg frozen french fried sweet potatoes.)
  • cooking spray
  • 2 teaspoons pesto sauce mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
Burger Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 1 cup chicken flavor stuffing (I used stove top)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (I used chicken.)
  • 1 Tablespoon canola oil (I omitted this, but I burned my food.  You may want to use it.)
  • 6 lettuce leaves
  • 6 buns (I forgot to make some, so we used bread
  • 1/3 cup turkey gravy (I used a packet that I whipped up - it was chicken too.)
  • 6 slices jellied cranberry sauce
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400.  Place fries on a greased cookie sheet.  Spray with cooking spray.  Combine pesto, celery seed and thyme; sprinkle over fries.  I turned them over to sprinkle both sides.  (Next time I'd put the sweet potatoes in a big bowl, toss them with 1 Tablespoon oil, and then sprinkle/toss them with the pesto mix.)  Bake for 20 minutes, turning once in the middle.  (I'm pretty sure I cooked them more than 20 minutes, but I had fresh sweet potatoes.  I just cooked them however long it took me to make the burgers, checking on them occasionally.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the whole-berry cranberry sauce, stuffing mix and thyme.  Crumble turkey over mixtre and mix well.  Shape into 6-7 patties.
  3. In a large skillet, cooke burgers in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165 and juices run clear.  
  4. Place burgers on lettuce lined buns, top with a spoonful of gravy and a slice of cranberry sauce.  Serve with fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails