Friday, October 15, 2010

Chicken paninis and chili potato wedges

I was supposed to get something into the slow cooker yesterday, but I didn't ever get it done, so I had to change my idea for dinner.  Luckily it was shopping day.  I wanted to make these paninis close to the day I went shopping so the bread would be fresh anyway.
The recipe idea comes from my taste of home simple and delicious magazine.  I changed a few things out of necessity (tripled the recipe, used a pesto packet rather than actual pesto, adjusted proportions of some items  etc.)  I also made the chili potato wedges from the same magazine.  Both were tasty.  Although the potato wedges were not nearly as spicy as I expected.  I'd give the Panini 4-5 star and the fries 3-4.


Panini Ingredients
Serves 5-6

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese 
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (1/2 a lemon)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest (zest of 1 lemon)
  • 1 teaspoon pesto mix seasoning
  • dash pepper
  • 1 loaf sourdough bread (I got the bakery kind that I had to slice.)
  • 12-16 oz. chicken (book says rotisserie chicken, I used my precooked.)
  • 2 slices ready-to-serve fully cooked bacon per sandwich
  • mozzarella cheese
  • 2-4 slices red onion slices and separated into rings (I used sweet onions - not as pretty but tasty.)
  • 1-2 tomatoes sliced
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.  
  2. To make each sandwich (I actually did 2 at a time.)  Spread 1 side of bread with mayo mix.  Layer with chicken, bacon, cheese, onion and tomato.  (Original recipe had you spread more sauce on the other side of the bread.  I was afraid I'd run out of sauce, so I put the cheese on the bread so it would melt into the bread.  I did have some sauce left over which I served on the side.  I liked it with the extra sauce, but I'm not sure if I would choose to spread it on the bread next time.  I think I'd still serve it to the side.)
  3. Cook on a panini maker 3-4 minutes or until bread is brown and cheese is melted.
Chili potato wedges 
Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large baking potato (I used 2 small to medium)
  • Cooking spray
Directions
  1. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, garlic powder and salt.  Cut the potato lengthwise into 8 wedges.  Spray wedges with cooking spray, then coat with seasoning mixture.  
  2. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Bake uncovered at 450 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  
I made a second batch of fries but just seasoned them with garlic herb mix and salt.  I cooked them on 1 half of the baking sheet and the chili fries on the other.  Worked well, and it used up 4 potatoes I needed to used. Plus it was just enough for everyone in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails