Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Taco pizza with wheat/cornmeal crust

It was pizza night tonight.  I didn't start early enough for my regular crust that I love, so I started looking online.  Honestly since we upped the amount we have pizza, I wanted to try something new for the crust anyway.  I must post this right away before I forget what I did.  It was tasty.  I got the idea from a sparkrecipe that I found but it needed some editing because I didn't want to follow the directions and add the water slowly.  I just added it all and it was way too wet.  So I added more cornmeal until it was a decent consistency.  I actually liked the additional cornmeal.  Added to the taco feel.  I also really ended up liking the easy-made refried like black beans I made up to go on this.  I thought they went wonderfully with the crust.  YUM!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon instant yeast (If you use active dry you may want to proof it first
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tablespoon agave
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup warm water
Topping Ingredients
  • 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup salsa (I used Pace picante, mild)
  • 2 roma tomatoes diced
  • 1 red pepper diced
  • 2 cups chopped lettuce
  • 1 small can sliced olives
  • (optional toppings - avacado, jalapeno, sour cream, diced onion (totally meant to add sour cream and diced onion tonight.  Oops.)
Directions
  1. Combine all dough ingredients in mixer and mix and knead until a smooth dough is formed.  (It was a little sticky before the rise, but I left it that way thinking the cornmeal would absorb some of the liquid and it did.)  Preheat oven as hot as it will go.
  2. Let rest and rise 30 min (give or take depending on how much you want it to rise - I just let it rise while I was making my other pizza.)  Divide dough into 2 equal parts, roll out to the size pizza/thickness of crust that you want. Place on a pizza peel covered with cornmeal.  
  3. Combine black beans and salsa.  Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency.   Top with cheese.  Cook on a pizza stone for 6 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Let cool on slightly on a cooling rack.  Top with chopped tomatoes, red pepper, olives, lettuce and anything else you might want to add.  I actually added different toppings to different sections of the pizza according to my children's tastes - so half had tomato, half red pepper, all had olives and tomatoes....


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails