Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mexican Rice Salad

I found a new fun recipe blog.  It's called Jamie cooks it up.  This recipe came from there.
I didn't end up making it, Brandon did (hmm, crazy trend here lately) but I do know he followed my suggestion to cut the oil in half and sub water.  It worked just fine.  I could still tell there was oil in it, but it wasn't so much that I felt like I had on lip gloss when I was eating the salad.  Unfortunately, I didn't get pickled jalapeños because I thought we had some.  I think the salad would have been a bit better with the jalapeños, but it was fine without it - just a bit sweet, and not a lot of spice.  However, that made it great for the kids.

Yield: 12 servings
Time: 45 minutes prep + 1 hour chill

Ingredients

  • 5 cups cooked rice
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 bunch green onions chopped
  • 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken (I just used the pre-cooked)
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
Dressing Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 2 Tablespoons vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2-4 pickled jalapeños
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
Directions
  1. Cook rice and set aside to cool.  Cook and shred chicken (boil for 15 min.) or use pre-cooked.
  2. Put all dressing ingredients in a blender and puree.
  3. Put all salad ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour dressing over the top and mix well.
  4. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails