Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chicken salad wraps and poppyseed dressing

This is a recipe I found over at Realmom kitchen a bit ago, and stuck it on my things I want to try page.  I planned to make it with pre-cooked chicken that I always keep in the freezer, but unfortunately, I was out and didn't know it. The only thing I had was some that had gotten forgotten on the grill and overcooked.  It was so dry that we shredded it.  Well, that is what got used today.  The recipe was actually good enough that it was still tasty even with the super dry chicken.  Of course, Tavio hated it.  Apparently he now dislikes mayo, sour cream, and cream cheese.  (Oh, but he loves cheese cake and eats lots of things with cream cheese with no complaints - go figure.)  The recipe calls for these to be rolled tightly, wrapped in plastic wrap and stuck in the fridge - we didn't do this part.  We didn't want to wait that long for lunch.  :).  They sere still delicious.  We did use some smaller bake at home tortillas which did make it a bit harder to roll.  I would definitely recommend the larger size tortillas.  
I also refused to buy a bottle of poppyseed dressing at the store.  There were very few ingredients and lots of fat grams, so I found a recipe on allrecipes.com to try and made that subbing 1/2 of the oil with water.  It was still delicious.  :)


Ingredients
  • 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 4 medium green onions, chopped (3 Tablespoons)
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts (we used somewhere in between)
  • 1 cup creamy poppy seed dressing (I used the recipe below)
  • 1 8 oz. container cream cheese spread (I used reduced fat
  • 8 10 inch flour tortillas (we used 12 6 inch plus finished off the salad with wheat thins)
  • Leaf lettuce (we used green leaf)
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups finely chopped strawberries
Directions
  1. Mix chicken, onions and walnuts in food processor bowl.  Cover and process by using quick on and off motions until finely chopped.  Add 1/3 cup poppy seed dressing; process only until mixed.  (I had already shredded chicken, so I just processed away.  it was also dry so I added an additional 1/3 cup dressing to the mix at this time as well.)
  2. Mix remaining dressing (for me only 1/3 cup) and the cream cheese spread in a small bowl with a spoon unitl smooth.  Add chicken mixture and combine unitl well mixed.  
  3. Spread chicken mixture evenly over the surface of tortillas leaving top inch of the tortilla uncovered.
  4. Press lettuce on top of the chicken.  Sprinkle strawberries over chicken.
  5. Firmly roll up tortillas, beginning at the bottom and rolling toward the 1 inch tortilla that is uncovered.  As you roll chicken mixture will cover the rest of the tortilla and seal it.
  6. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.  cut in half on a diagonal and serve.

Poppy seed Dressing
adapted from allrecipes

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup splenda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon diced onion
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
Directions
  1. I think you could probably just blend everything but the poppy seeds in the blender, then stir in the poppy seeds.    I actually blended everything but the water, oil and poppy seeds, then added the oil, let it get nice and white and creamy then added the water, blended for just a second then stirred in the poppy seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails