Friday, August 27, 2010

kielbasa chicken kabobs with almond pilaf

Oops, didn't get this posted the day I made it or even the next day.  The recipe comes from my Taste of Home magazine.  They turned out really well.  I liked the marinade they sat in.  I was supposed to have basted them with reserved marinade, but I forgot.  I'm sure that would have made them even better, but they were great as they were.


Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice (I used a 6 oz. can, but I'm wondering if you could have just used the drained juice from the unsweetened pineapple chunks.)  
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar (I used splenda)
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes (I used about 1.5 lbs)
  • 1 lb smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, thickly sliced (I used a 12 oz. lighter (maybe part turkey) kielbasa)
  • 1 can (20 oz.) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
  • 2 medium green peppers (I used 1 green and 1 red)
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes (I used 1 container of cherry)
  • 2 medium red onions, quartered.  (I used 1 cut into 1/8s then the 1/8s chopped in 1/2)
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, combine first seven ingredients.  Remove 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.  Divide remaining marinade between 2 large resealable plastic bags.  Add chicken to one bag and kielbasa, pineapple and vegetables to the other bag.  (To the veggie bag I also added a bit of the pineapple juice from the pineapple chunks because there were so many veggies in the bag that it looked like then needed a bit more juice.)  Seal bags, and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  2. On 16 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the chicken, kielbasa, pineapple and vegetables.
  3. Coat grill with cooking spray or oil.  Grill kabobs, covered over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning frequently and basting with reserved marinade.
I served this with a simple almond pilaf.  I was told by one child that it was horribly bland.  It wasn't totally bland, and I ate mine mixed with the pieces of kabob and thought it complemented it nicely.  However, as a plain side, it would have been a bit boring in flavor.  As an accompaniment to this meal, it was great.  So I include it to go along with this meal.  The original recipe was made with instant rice, but I just put this on while my son was helping put food on skewers.  It cooked while the food grilled.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion (I didn't have any so I used dehydrated onion.  I used a couple Tablespoons)
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds (I used chopped raw because I was out of slivered too.)
  • 1 Tablespoon butter.
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1.5 cups long grain rice
Directions
  1. Brown onion and almonds in butter.  (I actually added a bit of extra chicken broth while browning to help rehydrate my onions a bit.)  Add rice and broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails