Thursday, June 24, 2010

chocolate oatmeal pancakes

Going to try to get a couple of recipes typed up today.  I'm getting behind.  I still have lots of pictures to add too.
I tried Hungry Girl's oat-rageous chocolate chip pancake minis this week for breakfast.  The first time I made them, I followed the recipe exactly.  I wanted to try them, and I wanted to get a feel for the size of the mini pancake when I only had to divide my batter into 5 portions.   I found them to be very eggy and not sweet enough for me.  I adjusted the recipe and decided to make them a chocolate/chocolate chip recipe and was much happier with the result.  They made a pancake that was still high in egg substitute (protein) but the flavor was masked by the chocolate, added vanilla and a bit more splenda.  I also tripled or quadrupled the recipe.   Duncan liked Hungry Girl's version.  It is on page 30 of this book.  This is my version.  The rest of us preferred this version.  The big picture are the chocolate ones.  The little picture ar the eggy ones.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 3/4 cup egg substitute
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 3 Tablespoons splenda
  • 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Place all ingredients except chips into a medium bowl.  Stir until thoroughly mixed.  Fold in chocolate chips.
  2. Pour batter into 2 1/2 - 3 inch mini pancakes.  Bake on a hot skillet or griddle 1 minute per side or until golden brown.  
I ate them plain like this, but they would be tasty with some lite ready whip and a cherry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails