Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fish tacos, Lime Rice, and Tomatillo ranch dressing

These are all recipes ideas from The Food Nanny Rescues dinner, but we changed things up like we usually do. We had these a while back. I'm really slow in posting this. It was good, but I think I would have liked a little bit more flavor on the fish. I'm used to tacos made with taco seasoning. Once I added taco sauce to my second taco it was much better.



Fish Tacos

This is just a super general recipe. I'll list what we did - it is nothing like what the book did. We used different fish, and broiled it rather than pan fried it.

Ingredients
  • 1 -1 1/2 lbs Orange Roughy
  • Tortillas - I'd like to have used corn, but sent DH to the store and we had the premade dough that you cook. It was good.
  • Whatever you want to put on top. We had avacado, shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomatillo ranch, taco or hot sauce (depending on who you were)
Directions
Broil orange roughy for 6 minutes. Shred. Top tortillas with desired toppings.

Lime Rice

Ingredients
  • 2 cups long-grain white rice
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Directions

Combine ingredients in a rice cooker and cook.
This recipe is similar to the recipe in the book. I just doubled it, used chicken stock rather than broth, and cut out the salt since I felt there was plenty in the stock. It was ok, but I prefer the lime rice we make for Karley's pork.

Tomatillo Ranch

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 Tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tomatillos
Directions
Mix all the ingredients in a blender.

This was basically the recipe for homemade ranch dressing, but we added the tomatillos. I wanted to see how it tasted without the tomatillos because I had never made my own dressing, so I tried it before adding the tomatillos. It was very thick like that. (tasted fine, just reminded me more of a ranch dip than a dressing.) When I added the tomatillo, it made it more of a consistency that I wanted. It was good, but I probably also prefer the tomatillo ranch with Karley's pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails